Uh oh, you just got into a car accident on your way to run a quick errand. What should you do now? Stay calm and read on to learn how to react to make sure that the process goes as smoothly as possible.
9 Tips to Remember After A Car Accident
- Get out of your vehicle and provide assistance to anyone who is injured.
- Call the police or highway patrol immediately.
- Take photographs of your damaged vehicle and the scene. Note the date and time that the images were taken.
- Protect the accident scene by setting up flares, putting up cones or moving your vehicle off the road. Keep these items in your trunk at all times in the event of an accident.
- Once the police arrive, give them as much information as you can about what occurred. Do not admit fault; simply give the facts.
- Ask the investigating officer for a copy of the police report, as you may have to submit it with your insurance claim.
- Take as many notes and write down as many details as you can remember about the accident, and then call General Insurance Services, Inc. to report your claim.
- Keep all records of correspondence that you have regarding your claim, including the date, name and title of the person that you talked to about the accident.
- Keep a record of any expenses that you incurred as a result of the accident. Depending on your policy, you may be entitled to reimbursement for those expenses.
Get the Facts
Sounds easy, but many people forget to do this after an accident for one reason or another. It is important to get the names, address and phone numbers of everyone involved. Also, gather a description of the car(s) and license plate number(s), and make sure to get the insurance company and the vehicle identification number of everyone involved when you’re at the scene of the accident.
Katelyn joined General Insurance Services in 2016. Prior to joining GIS, she graduated from Purdue University North Central with a Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Science and a minor in English. Katelyn is a member of the Michigan City Rotary Club, and enjoys maintaining a vegetable garden with her husband and spending time outside with her dogs. She presently resides in Trail Creek, and works in our Michigan City location.